I am a Christian. I am a gay man. Here is chronicle of my symbolic journey west, toward adventure, challenge, mystery and ultimately peace.

Monday, April 28, 2008

Church

The church I once attended--and I attribute much of my growth to that church--had placed a mark on me. Given the members' stance on gay-related issues and the poor reaction I got from a selected group of members to whom I actually came out, I left. I spent years volunteering at that church, and a lot of people knew me. (Or at least the me I chose to share.) But when I finally decided to stop supressing my sexuality and actually deal with it, I had no safe place to go. My plan was not to come out in a flaming gay-affirming blaze of glory, but to at least say a very small set of my fellow church-goers, "I struggle with my sexuality. It is part of me and my journey. I do not know if it is right or wrong or changable or anything. I just need help. Would you walk with me through this pretty depressing and dark area for me right now? Would you help me ask the questions and process the answers?"

But after one or two pretty bad reactions, I bolted. I was told that I would have to submit to several men in the church and have them hold me to a very high accountability level for my feelings. (Mind you, at this point, I had not done anything that would even remotely be considered acting out.) That was odd, because previously I had asked three official office-holding leaders of that church to be a mentor to me; each of them met with me twice, and there was no more mentoring or discipleship. Until, that is, I said the GAY word, at which time the warning sirens sounded. I was told pretty much everyone under the sun was going to know about me and I would be removed from all volunteering and I would have to meet weekly with these three older guys, etc, etc, etc. I found myself actually pitying the people at that church, because they essentially overreacted, not knowing themselves how to deal with someone who is gay.

I went home and cried myself to sleep. I asked the empty space in my apartment where I was supposed to turn, when my church could not (or would not) care for me. I remembered all those conversations with people--mostly youth--about their pain. The son who told me his dad did not love him; the child who closed his bedroom door to drown out his parents' daily fight; the kid who slept on my couch during a winter storm because he had just been kicked out of his house. I had cared for them; now who would care for me?

The one place that was supposed to be safe.

It was not.

And so I left.

I left and went somewhere else for church. I wanted to be somewhere else. Anywhere but "there." It has been years since I quietly left that church, and to this day very few people know the pain I left with. I cringe to even think about going back. And weighing most heavily on me: I have a great deal of anger toward the people "there."

I don't want to be angry, but I also know I cannot go back. It just hurts too much. My opinions of churches changed quite dramatically during that episode, and I am only beginning to unpack my feelings. I have not landed at a perfect church, and I do not know that I would be affirmed by my current church as a gay man. But I have found some grace, some love, someplace to be real, even if only with a very few people.

Churches are odd like this: Getting hurt is painful in a rotten way. Learning to be vulnerable is similarly painful, but somehow leads to beauty. My journey continues, learning how to do the latter without the former.

12 comments:

Jarred said...

What a terrible and unfortunate experience. I pray you continue to heal from these wounds.

P said...

One postive thing about pain is that it can lead to some great writing and self reflection -that was a beautiful post. Thanks for being honest.

grace said...

This is the sort of stuff that makes my heart ache for gay folks....and for Christians as well who comitt these sins against their brothers and sisters believing they are working against sin when they are only compounding it by their own actions.

It's as if they're throwing a life preserver at a drowning man, hitting him squarely in the back of the head with such force that it knocks him out and he perishes.

Vic Mansfield said...

It is difficult when we talk about something so close to our very being and no one seems to listen. That is the Church, sometimes anyway. So afraid of the Truth.

All their reactions are about THEM, not you, not God. It is their homophobia, their fear of the DEEP love of God that transforms us. But sometimes, we don't like that transformative love. THEY think it should transform you in THEIR image. I have hoped and prayed that it would transform me into a nice, "normal" straight guy.

In forty years, it didn't. I discovered that the transformative love meant for me was to show me what I already was, a dearly loved gay man.

The hurt that can come from Church is one of the deepest because we are there looking for faith and looking for God's love. The human failings of the Church are legion. It is a human thing, and a sad, sad one. But God is bigger, stronger, more loving than we can imagine.

After years of hating ourselves and having the Church collude in that hate, it takes us time to see again that deep love.

I pray for you that deep love God and acceptance of yourself. I'm with you.

And have some fun, too. Go easy on yourself. It's all part of our journey, and God is with us through it all. Not condemning but loving.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

It is a strange feeling to walk into a church... and know you are not welcomed there. I understand that loss.

Brendon said...

I went through something very similar to this back last year and the fall of '06. I told my preacher I was struggling with my sexuality, and asked if he'd help me or mentor me. He ended up avoiding me for about four months afterwards and then finally decided to talk to me and tell me everything he thought was wrong with me. I left church crying every Sunday during March and April last year and finally just quit going altogether throughout most of last summer. I just didn't feel as though anyone was there for me or cared. I thought if that's how my preacher, of all people, was going to react, how much worse would everyone else be. So I just quit going to church. And I couldn't find any other church in the area that seemed any better. I ended up last fall going back again, and have just tried to forgive and forget and move on. But I think that was one of the biggest hurts of my entire life, and it still hurts sometimes. I already felt pretty rejected, and this only dramatically added to that feeling. Anyway, I know how you feel.

I'm sorry your church treated you so badly. I hope so much the church at large will finally wake up and realize how horrible a job it's doing reaching out to people struggling in this regard.

You're in my prayers man.

Love in Christ,
Brandon

David said...

It is so hard when someplace safe and loving turns out to be not so safe. And we can carry the pain of that with us always.

I hope that the love in your life now can help to fill the holes left by the pain.

Brady said...

I know it's not your job or responsibility, but I think it might be a good idea to send them a letter (even if it needs to be anonymous) to describe what pain they caused you because of their inability to understand. Without learning, they'll simply go on and do it again.

Unknown said...

Bro,

When I hear or read stories such as this I have three reactions:

(1) I get angry at such church leaders who really drop the ball and fail to truly minister to someone who needs shepherding.

(2) It makes me so very thankful for all the support that my brothers in Christ have given me, including all the elders in the church. I am in a very conservative pro-family church and the entire elder staff have been very supportive. They're the greatest guys on earth!

(3) This story also motivates me to develop a minstry that equips pastors and elders who are either ignorant or lack the spiritual maturity to help people like you.

I will pray for you and if you contact me (rikfleming@yahoo.com) and I'll try to find you a more supportive church. I am fairly well networked in the USA.

Love ya man!

Rik

KJ said...

Though not all glbt believers would agree with me, I think the path to which Rik points is one on which the Spirit can lead the glbt believer. I know that it's one to which I wanted to be called, but when I attempted, I discovered that placing my will above my Creator's was resulting in the destruction of the person I was created to be.

I chose life, which meant taking a "love dive" into the arms of a loving saviour and becoming fully authentic. The person being destroyed became whole, and the Spirit was able to minister through me to others in a way I had never experienced, all while those who viewed me as out of God's will said that could not be true.

Bear is right; what the "exclusive church" would wish to see us be and do, is about them. While these believers would say they are attempting to help protect our souls, the effort is not really about those who are "lost". It would seem to be much more about keeping those behind ecclesiastical walls safe, and has little to do with getting out and coming alongside those in need. I'm very much reminded of the criticisms of Jesus by the religious leaders when they thought he was hanging out with the wrong sort.

When one is fully authentic, including in the area of sexuality, longs for relationship with God, a longing which the Spirit creates and satisfies, and seeks through the power of the Spirit to be in relationships that draw others into relationship with our Creator, then that person will be blessed beyond comprehension.

However, if one comes out to simply satisfy an "urge", making it all about themselves, or plays a spiritual game, pretending what is true, is not, what could be blessing becomes curse.

Now, regarding finding a church family -- That is a tough search for many of us who grew up in Evangelical Land, but even that arduous journey can be a blessing as we discover firsthand the breadth of the Family of God.

The Hunky Gardener said...

I attended a homo-no-mo group led by a church. It sort of numbed me inside. I did everything they said but nothing changed. They wanted me to live as something I couldn't. When my pastor found out he preached a message the next week on homosexuals going to hell and I left. I tried to attend an alpha group three years later but a leader stated that gays have a disease and once again I was beaten down. Last year a friend committed suicide over the gay Christian thing. I am still so angry at the church.

Anyways, I sound like I am throwing myself a pity party here but just know you are not alone in this. Religion is so deeply engrained and so is fear of a God who puts people in hell. There are many gay Christians who live in agony unable to accept this part of them.

Sounds like you are learning a lot about yourself through all of this. I have also cried a river over it all so I understand how you feel. My heart and love go out to you guy.

andy said...

hope you can forgive them...
you are a good man..