I am a Christian. I am a gay man. Here is chronicle of my symbolic journey west, toward adventure, challenge, mystery and ultimately peace.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Coming Out Day


So today is National Coming Out Day. I came out to absolutely no one. I feel like I should have. Perhaps the secretary who always has a smile, or maybe the woman who always has candy at her desk or the guy at the next table at the library who I've never met and and who could probably care less.

Last year's Coming Out Day did something in me. I opened my local newspaper to find picture of a tired man, his back up against a wall, his knees pulled up, his hands supporting his head. It's the image that inspired my own blog photo. I was that guy. Tired. Worn out. Sick of crying. Emotionless. Completely lost as to what to do next. My hands holding up my head in a vein effort to keep me from sinking lower. I didn't feel alone anymore. If that ficticious guy could feel that low, then I wasn't so hopeless.

But today, when I guess I was supposed to come out to somebody, I was left wondering why I have to come out. Why does any gay man have to come out? I'm not advocating staying in the closet, and I'm not saying I will always be in the closet either. Thankfully, there are some trusted friends and family that already know.

I'm asking why society demands that I announce "I like men" and yet does not require a corresponding "Girls are hot" proclamation from my straight counterparts. Am I supposed to tell everyone like it's some tag around my neck? Is it like applying a bright pink label to me? It's almost like posting a "Beware of Dog" sign in my yard, except mine says "Beware of Gay." Must I declare, "Oh, I'm gay" when I don't hear an extraordinary number of straight people Coming Out about their sexuality? Why must gays endure this gauntlet called "Coming Out" where I could lose family or friends or even the respect of someone who hardly knows me but feels anointed by a religious broadcaster to proclaim the "Truth in Love" to me?
Or maybe I just want someone to "Ask Me" instead of me having to "Tell Them". Or do I have this all wrong? I'm realizing I'm pretty negative about the Coming Out experience. Is there a positive side I'm completely missing here?

2 comments:

Old Pastor said...

Ah, the coming out questions. Coming out, by my experience is both an event and a lifelong process. It begins by coming out to self and accepting, even embracing the YOU that God created. Beyond that it is a personal decision whether or not to share this piece of who you are. I ask folks who are considering coming out to family, friends, etc. what their reason is. If they are coming out so that they are sharing a piece of who they are, then fine. If it's for shock value or to produce guilt in Mom, then I say forget it. No one is "supposed to come out" unless they are ready and so desire. The joy of National Coming Out Day is reminding us that we CAN come out if we choose. It is our information, our life, our decision. As you get more comfy with yourself, situations will arise that will lead you to share yourself in many ways and for many reasons. Hang in there.

Unknown said...

Nick...you speak as a companion I trust, and as one who is graciously lending his support and experience to me. Thank you; I appreciate you.