I am a Christian. I am a gay man. Here is chronicle of my symbolic journey west, toward adventure, challenge, mystery and ultimately peace.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I Remember (Part 3)

I remember my neighbor Daniel. He lived next to my dad, and so I didn't see him very often, maybe every other weekend and a few extra days during the summer. But I remember him nonetheless.

Daniel was a few years older than me, and he was beautiful. Me...I was the portly younger kid who wore "husky" size jeans and was quite ordinary. Daniel didn't come into the house all that much, but he did water ski with our family all the time. I even remember that he took to it right away. For months and months, I wiped out behind the boat unable to even get up on skis. Daniel got up on his first try and skied half-way across the lake.

Though I wasn't completely aware of it at the time, Daniel looked fine in a swimming suit. Smooth chest, abs, pecs, winning smile. He had it all. Plus, he was always really nice to me. As a pre-teen, could it be possible I wasn't aware of how much I liked Daniel? In the house on the other side of me was Karen. She was always nice too, but I really didn't care so much to keep track of her or her business. Daniel, however, I liked it when he came over.

Somehow or other, all of us were playing the famous childhood game of catch known as Pickle. I was a lousy thrower, catcher and runner, so I wandered around the game much more than I actually played it. There was no expectation that I could competently play the game, but I was welcome to be around.

This particular day, somehow Karen and Doug and their friends decided to play Strip Pickle, which made absolutely no sense to this little kid. I remember them telling me I didn't have to worry about losing, so I just did my normal wandering. But once Karen had gotten out 3 times, our little entourage went between the our houses and Karen got really really nervous. Before I knew what was happening, both on that day and in life, she unbuttoned her shirt and flashed the boys with her bra. Really, I've never seen anything happen so fast. I didn't think anything of it, other than I had never seen a girl without all her clothes before. (And given how quick the flash was, I probably still hadn't.)

Later, however, Daniel got out 3 times, and I realized Daniel was about to show Karen and the rest of the girls his penis. Panic struck me, because I had been on Daniel's "team," but again, they all assured me I didn't have to do anything. And right there, right then, Daniel unzipped his pants and showed Karen and her friends his dick. This was no flash, folks. Daniel put it on display for a while. And I stared.

Nothing happened in me. I didn't want to have sex with him, I didn't have a boner. (Who knows if I was even capable of one then.) I didn't think very much of it at all, I guess. But I did feel a bit more of a man that day, perhaps in the same way my straight counterparts feel when they've first seen the flesh of a woman.

I'm not even sure why I put this story here. But I do remember. Maybe somebody can tell me what it means.

6 comments:

Pomoprophet said...

good to see u comment on my site. thanks!

BentonQuest said...

I don't know why you posted it, but I do remember being intrigued by naked men. I always found the shower area at the pool to be interesting. I never saw my dad naked, so this was a way for me to see grown male penises.

Creative Thinker said...

Hi -- I know I've dropped a comment or two in the past, but I just want to say how much I appreciate your blog. I have been reading some of the back posts and it is so nice to know that I am not alone in being a Christian and being gay. I would certainly be excommunicated if my church knew about me. I so appreciate your honesty. Right now, I'm kind of at a low point and it is good just to realize that I'm not by muyself out there...Thanks. Keep writing -and I'll keep reading.

BlogpostToGod said...

After reading this, I remember how I wanted to see my second grade teacher naked.

He turned out to be gay, but that was just pure coincidence.

daveincleveland said...

i was in 5th grade and i can remember my teacher ....hot mr. reardon, i yearned for him back then bud didn't know what at the time, funny how things work out.....

Anonymous said...

"Before I knew what was happening, both on that day and in life..."

lol!
I love it man!

"This was no flash, folks. Daniel put it on display for a while. And I stared."

lol!

Well, I never had anything close happen to me ever!