I am a Christian. I am a gay man. Here is chronicle of my symbolic journey west, toward adventure, challenge, mystery and ultimately peace.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

More Out


Whew! Somewhat unexpectedly, I told yet another friend I am gay. I didn't plan it all out or make a big to-do of it. I simply decided it was time to send a quick simple e-mail, and not to spend days and days pondering how it should be worded or what approach to take or whatever. My close friends tell me I think too much. This time, I didn't fall into that trap.

The details of this friend and why him now and all aren't all that critical to me. I simply know I had peace when I sent off the e-mail last night. Then the reply came back this morning. I wasn't all that sure I wanted to open that reply, wondering if there would be support or fire-and-brimstone. So I stopped, took a deep breath, and muttered some unintelligible prayer asking for peace of mind before double-clicking his message to me.

And that peace continued. There was understanding, love and acknowledgement of me and of my journey. I feel like someone stands by me, that someone I thought might hate me actually does indeed love me. Thanks for an understanding friend. I needed that today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish, like the northwoods guys {&others}, that you would consider giving your readers an e-mail address so we could write you personally. I am sure there are pro/cons to this but at this point maybe it would prove helpful/stimulating on mutual basis.
I for one am really appreciating your blog and deeply admire your courage in addressing the issues of life.
Thanks!

BentonQuest said...

I don't think (hetero) people understand the terror that goes into telling someone. We may think, hope, pray, that the person will respond well. But we can never be sure. When we tell people, if the person is not accepting, then we have lost a friend. At best we get someone who is indifferent to us. At worse, we get someone who actively hates us. Blessings on your journey. Courage on your way.